Introduction of Module
This module will use self-directed learning by providing a PowerPoint presentation followed by a series of useful websites with information directly pertaining to success in navigating Human Resources. There is information specifically explaining what Human Resources does, how and when to approach them, how to be prepared when communicating with them, and what kind of information and benefit HR can provide to any employee. Participants will finish the module with a brief quiz reviewing key points presented in the websites.
- Students will be able to identify the purpose and role of Human Resources in the modern work environment.
- Students will be able to indicate the importance of being informed and prepared when approaching Human Resources.
- Students will be able to navigate Human Resources when negotiating contracts, seeking a raise, reporting disability, or reporting a grievance.
Pre-module reflection questions
- What are the steps to take when reporting an issue with a colleague?
- What are the steps to take when reporting a disability, either before an interview or after hire?
- Who do I approach with questions about interesting skill development and work-related training opportunities?
- Why might it be important to understand what HR does and how?
This module provided students with an overview of human resources and their position in the job hiring and management process. After being hiring, new employees should know how and when to approach human resources. Human resources can provide many benefits and information to employers, therefore, it is important to educate students about human resources job in the workplace.
Post-Module Reflection Question
- Does your HR have surveys or other methods of discovering what their employees think are important?
- Are there ways the employees can make themselves available to HR to make sure it’s a symbiotic relationship of reflection, resourcefulness, and reliability?