Introduction of Module
This module will use self-directed learning by providing a PowerPoint presentation followed by a series of useful websites with information directly pertaining to success in networking. There is information specifically geared toward introverts. Participants will finish the module with a brief quiz reviewing key points presented in the websites.
- Students will understand the importance of networking when seeking to find a new role/transition between roles
- Students will understand that networking extends to informal socializing, internet presence, and seemingly unrelated contacts
- Students will understand that following up and communication are critical to founding ongoing network relationships, including mentor/mentee relationships
Pre-module reflection questions
- What are prime situations for networking?
- Who are my primary contacts for networking?
- When should I begin building my network and internet presence?
Networking can be an intimidating and daunting task, even when students know how important it is to them obtaining a job. In this module, students learned where to network, how to prepare for networking events, steps to networking, and the Dos and Don’ts to networking online and in person. It is important that students have confidence when putting themselves out there to network, therefore, this module helped students gain knowledge and understanding of networking skills to employ.
Post-Module Reflection Question
- How can I benefit others in my network right now and in the near future?
- Are there specific past employers or colleagues to ask for recommendations/laudations on my social, professional and networking profiles?
- Are there connections I should consider checking in with to re-engage in our relationship?